Thursday, January 3, 2019

Teacha Madi is Back!

Big news!  Today I start student teaching!  Am I excited? I think so!  Am I nervous?  Heck yes!

Last semester went a lot quicker than I thought it would.  I took all education classes, and only one of them was art related.  So I did a crazy amount of lesson planning, reading about teaching philosophies, and learning about teaching models that I'm never going to use.  It's great.  Now my time as a student is being merged with my time as a professional as I work for a teacher in a junior high!

Let's clear something up.  Junior high was never in the plan.  Honestly the idea of junior high just freaks me out because I don't want to remember my own junior high years!  Awkward times!  But my degree is for both junior and senior high, and I got no say in where I student teach.  So, junior high it is!

I've already met with the teacher I'm going to work with, and he seems like a really amazing teacher.  I feel like he and I will get along great, which is a huge relief!  I am mostly nervous about the classes he teaches, because mostly he teaches 7th grade art foundations.  And he focuses mostly on drawing!  I am not comfortable at all with drawing so this should be really interesting.  He told me to expect class sizes of 45-50 students (!!!) which was also unexpected.

Anyway, I'll be working with him full time for the next couple of months.  Hopefully by the end of it I'll be confident enough to run my own classroom, since that is the plan for next fall.  I can't believe that this time is already here!

No comments:

Post a Comment