Saturday, July 13, 2019

Obon 2019

The Obon Festival is the most magical event of the year!  I'm a summer girl, and there's nothing more enchanting than a beautiful summer evening.  But throw in lanterns, great outfits, family, and tasty food and wow what a time!!  This year was especially memorable because my grandma officially gave Kylie and I yukatas to inherit.  I inherited this gorgeous blue one that was my great grandmother Kuniko Okuda's.


This year I was so excited to get some professional help with my hair.  Hair doing is not a talent of mine at all.  But with this crew, I had the most perfect retro pin curls in no time!



Kylie and I decided to get ourselves dressed this year in order to have time for a photoshoot.  It was our first year dressing ourselves but I think we did okay!


We had the idea that we should go to the International Peace Gardens for some themed pictures this year.  It's not too far away from the festival, so I don't know why we haven't done this before!  We snapped a few pictures that I think I will always treasure.  Also how cute is Warden in his tiny happi coat??










We drove on over to the festival for some serious dancing.  Kylie and I had been to a couple of practices but there were some new difficult songs this year that I'm sure we looked like fools in!  Nevertheless, I loved being there dancing with my girls.  And I love that nostalgic feeling when a song comes on that I've danced to nearly every year of my life.  Like hair doing, I am not talented in the field of dancing, but my feet know exactly what to do when we do a dance that I've been doing for almost 20 years!





Such a beautiful evening.  The end is always a blast, calling in the public to dance with us.



Until next year, Obon!

No comments:

Post a Comment