Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Guggenheim

We took it slow this morning checking out.  Before even checking out we went to a local diner here in Chinatown with classic diner food.  Which was kind of funny considering its location.  But it was so tasty!  We were sad to check out of our Airbnb and say bye to our best friend Biao Biao who we will certainly miss.

We finally got Bailey a travel backpack like mine.  Seriously, these Osprey bags are so comfortable and can carry so much!  We love them!

We only had one goal today, which was to visit the Guggenheim.  Something cool about the Guggenheim, they will actually store your carry-on size luggage.  Super helpful for backpacking people like us!  We were able to drop off our bags and use my AAM card to get us both in for free.  So nice!  We thought we were pretty smart, too, because we decided to take the elevator to the top and work our way down from there in order to avoid any uphill walking.

Let's talk about the building.  So dang cool!  Not my very favorite Frank Lloyd Wright, but I really loved the bright white aesthetic which is definitely my style.  I appreciated the spiral design, because it made it very clear as to where you should go.  I always get a little bit stressed in museums with no clear pathway, I always worry that I'm missing something!


Now we can talk about the artwork.  It was definitely unique!  Bailey was not a huge fan of Hilma af Klint's exhibit, because he claims that he could paint circles too.  I said, "maybe you could, but did you?".  I quite liked her circles!  I thought they were pretty.



The Guggenheim was full of all sorts of modern art, however if you are choosing between the MoMA and The Guggenheim, personally I preferred the MoMA's collection.  I am so glad that we got the chance to see The Guggenheim, though, because they did have a good collection with quite a few notable works and cool sculptures!  We were not huge fans of the Mapplethorpe collection though... we definitely chose to skip pretty quickly through that one.

We had more time to kill than planned, so we decided to go a little bit out of our way for lunch.  We headed back to Greenwich Village and got slices at Joe's Pizza.  Holy cow!  So freaking good!  John's Pizza was tasty enough, but Joe's Pizza was really something else.  We sat in the park across the street and enjoyed our cheesy slices while watching pigeons play a game of catch with a piece of someone's bread.

After eating lunch we decided to try some gelato as well.  It was very delicious, especially Bailey's pistachio flavor!  Unfortunately that was our last New York experience as it was then time to head to the airport.  The trip to the airport was a very crowded one, as I guess Wrestlemania is tonight in New Jersey, and we are flying out of Newark.

Overall, our trip to New York was amazing.  I never thought I would like New York so much!  I don't consider myself much of a busy city traveler, but there is so much to do in New York that it was such a good adventure!  Just the perfect mix of history, art, architecture, and nature.  Four days was good for hitting the highlights, but I really hope to come back and see more of what this city has to offer.  And to eat more of the food!  There are so many fantastic food options here!

If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend stopping by New York.  It may be smelly at times, especially walking out of subway stops for some reason, and it may seem expensive, but I think it is still totally doable on a budget and so worth it to make the trip happen!

Just Bailey being the best husband ever on our journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment