Thursday, October 20, 2016

San Francisco Day 1: Buses, Bikes and Broken Lenses

I have the best husband ever!  A few months ago I was sitting in our room dreaming of all the places I'd like to go for fall break, assuming that Bailey would think I'm ridiculous wanting to go somewhere when we have both a Mexico and a China trip in the near future.  But I told him of my dreams and he said, "Okay.  Let's go somewhere!"

I could hardly believe how lucky I am as a wife, and we both started looking up where we should go.  We considered Philadelphia, Washington DC, Quebec, Montreal, and finally decided on San Francisco.  We figured it is short enough of a plane ride to make the most out of our fall break, plus we knew that public transportation would be super convenient there.

So early this morning we woke up, having slept in his parent's living room, and drove on over to the airport.  And when I say early, I mean early early, like 3:30 am, and when I say we drove, I mean that Bailey's angel of a mother drove us.  Oh my gosh we were exhausted!  But we slept through the whole plane ride (which is a good and bad thing, considering we missed the free pretzels and drinks) so we weren't too tired throughout our first day in San Francisco!


We were able to drop our luggage off at our hotel, then we promptly set off to find some breakfast.  We ate at a cute little diner, then we were off to Chinatown!



Chinatown was seriously only a 7 minute walk from our hotel.  And, having been to China, let me tell you - it's pretty China-like.  Lots of people, lots of smells, and lots of shops that are super fun to look in (though I suppose in China they're usually just stands)!


After a while, one realizes that all the shops are pretty much the same.  However, only one of the shops had a communist stuffed panda bear which we found pretty entertaining.  So, after buying a few things (a postcard for Chanel, a magnet for Bailey's mom, and some pearl earrings for me), we decided it was time to move on.  But how could we move on without a way to move on?!  It was time for us to learn the bus system, starting with locating the Chinese produce market that sells MUNI passes.  But oh of course, the market only takes cash so you have to go find an ATM then walk all the way back...


In the end, though, we got our passes and were off to Pier 39!  It was super fun to walk through Pier 39, but we didn't go in very many shops because that's not really our thing (unless they focus on a certain country or have lots of candy or sharp objects, our attention won't be drawn).  We found a delicious place to eat, though, and I'm still salivating over the clam linguine I devoured for lunch!


We didn't have a set itinerary, just a list of ideas of what to do on our trip.  We considered the weather and hit a bike rental place.  We ended up spending $92(!!) on bikes for the rest of the day, but I'd say it was worth it!  We rode across Fisherman's Wharf, over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito, then caught a ferry back to the other side.  Oh my goodness it was gorgeous!



We did get slightly lost and suddenly found ourselves under the bridge.  That was a little unsettling, but it was a cool sight to see.



I'm glad we got lost, because we came across an old Civil War fort which we got to explore for free!



It was super cool!  We probably would have spent more time there if we weren't paranoid about our bikes getting stolen (it's a fear we have after Bailey's bike got stolen right out of Seiji and Kylie's backyard).  Also unfortunately, my memories of the fort are not too fond because right after I took the picture of Bailey on the staircase, my camera lens broke.  So freaking sad!!  And of course it was to happen on the first day of our trip!  So the rest of our trip pictures are taken via iPhone, which is sad.  But fortunately our phone cameras are decent!

ANYWAY.  We finally made it to the bridge, and I was so bummed about my camera lens that I only took one pic while on it.  Well, two pictures - one right after another.  AND BAILEY'S EYES WERE CLOSED IN BOTH OF THEM.  Not cool!


But it was so beautiful up there!  And also kind of overwhelming because cars are loud.  We eventually made it to Sausalito which is seriously the cutest town ever.  We would have stayed were we not paying for our bikes by the hour!  We went straight to the ferry (and enjoyed the ride quite a bit), returned our bikes, skipped dinner because we were still so full from lunch, and called it a night.  We were pooped!  But it was definitely an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment