Monday, December 26, 2016

Cabo San Lucas

Yesterday was a Sea Day.  It was tons of fun exploring and eating on the boat, but I will admit that it was a little bit hard for me, being all cooped up on a boat when I was so anxious to get to Mexico!

We woke up this morning and ate breakfast while watching Mexico get closer and closer.  Soon enough we were stopped and were sent on tenders to land.  It was a little bit chilly outside as the day was overcast.  That made me a little bit nervous, because I definitely wasn't dressed for the cold.  But it was definitely warm enough.  I was still excited as we watched fish from a deck and paid to go to the bathroom (who knows if that lady even works for the people who own the bathroom) before our excursion!


Soon enough we found the boat we were supposed to get on, and our guide took us out for a day of snorkeling!  On our way he showed us an arch that is apparently iconic, a rock of stinky and adorable sea lions, and jumping stingrays.  Did you know stingrays can jump?  It is kind of a terrifying thought, but actually super cute to see.  They jump straight up in the air out of the water, flapping their little triangle wings like they're trying to say hello.  It was freaking adorable.




We reached our first destination and jumped right into the water.  Cold!!  I panicked for a little bit, but quickly got used to it.  It was no worse than jumping into Deer Creek or boating in Flaming Gorge.  But unlike those Utah destinations, these waters were clear and full of sea life!


My dad being a little bit unsure about the cold water.

My mom bought a new underwater camera for the trip!  Unfortunately it broke a little the first time we used it, so we couldn't see very clearly what we were taking pictures of, and the water looks a lot less clear in the pictures than it actually was.



Super flattering underwater snorkel selfie.

Bailey was quite the snorkeler!  He had never done it before and was so excited about all of the fish!  He stayed out snorkeling with my mom after the rest of us got too cold, haha.



Cute pictures in snorkel gear are not possible.  We tried everything.


The fish really were amazing!  I've been snorkeling in the Caribbean but I don't remember seeing as many fish as we did today.  There were so many different kinds and they were all so beautiful!  They weren't afraid of us at all and would swim right up to us.  Especially when our guide started throwing bread crumbs near us.



Honestly it kind of freaked me out when the fish were coming straight towards me.  I would flatten out as much as I could and try to float on top of the water so that the tiny fish couldn't touch me.  I never felt them, they were quick little guys.  Much quicker than Bailey who kept trying to pet them.


The second snorkeling location we went to included a little beach all for us!  It was so charming!  I was surprised by how gravelly the sand was in some spots, and how some of the terrain reminded me of Utah.



The sand was covered with rocks.  Bailey found some cool ones!


Soon it was time to dry off a bit and get back on the boat.


We had a little bit of extra time so our guide took us for some whale watching!  Of course these pictures don't really do them justice, but they were gigantic and graceful and very amazing.  I had never seen whales before!




Poor Seiji and Kylie were freezing when we got back to land, so they headed back to the boat while the rest of us stayed for some tacos.  It may seem strange to pay to eat on land while we could eat for "free" on the boat, but I really wanted some authentic Mexican food!  Mexican food is my favorite and those beef tacos really hit the spot.


We shopped a little bit after dinner - we found an ornament to add to our collection and a cute headband to send to Chanel.  After that it was back to the boat to rest up for our next Mexican adventure!

Bailey bought me two more pairs of Saltwater Sandals for Christmas (I only had dark tan ones before).  I may be obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment