Monday, March 19, 2018

Brussels, Belgium

Let me start by saying that Brussels is cool but not THAT cool. If you’re planning to go, don’t plan on more than one day for sightseeing. We only had one day and were about done by 4pm and honestly could have been done earlier.

Last night, on our way to our Airbnb, we walked past a really random street which for some reason had tons of people on it. We stopped by a few of the gift shops and then realized why there were so many people there, we had walked right past the Manneken Pis!


When planning this trip I didn’t plan to see this statue. We weren’t interested in it enough to make the special trip to see it. Well, we saw it anyway, and I can’t say it was an elevating experience. But at the same time, now we can say “been there, done that”, and I guess that’s always worth something.

We started this morning by going to Grand Place, which is basically a square of awesome buildings! I was super impressed by all the gorgeous architecture. My favorite was this building with tons of statues on it. I can’t even imagine how much work went into building and completing that!




We also admired the high volume of Chinese tourists in the square. We felt right at home amidst their selfie sticks! There was also a Chinese tourist with the exact same bright green jacket I had on (though under my other jackets), and I think the two of us may have been the most brightly colored in the country.  Anyway, we spent quite a while at the Grand Place because it was so much to take in.




We then went back to the street the Mannekin Pis was on because I was getting hungry and I knew there were snacks near there!  The little guy was wearing an outfit which was definitely weird.


Belgian waffles were on my must try list for the country, and I am proud to say that I was able to cross that off! Dang, that waffle was good!



As a huge cathedral fan, I was excited to hit the Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula. It was beautiful inside and we took some time to sit and enjoy the stained glass windows.


I loved the exterior of the Cathedral!


The Royal Palace was next on my list, though I knew that they only let you in in the summer. It was cool to see the outside, though!


We stopped by Galerias Royals St Hubert and weren’t that interested in the high end shopping. Though the building was neat to see.

Finally it was time for the moment I was waiting for. To try Belgian chocolate! My friends, I was not disappointed. But you must keep in mind that my favorite chocolate comes in the $1 mini heart boxes they sell for Valentine’s Day, so I’m no chocolate expert.


At that point the sun was starting to come out which was such a welcome sight! We sat in Grand Place and enjoyed our treats while people watching.

We also met a family from California, and they were kind enough to snap a picture for Bailey and I. That is the problem with traveling as a couple, we have hardly any pictures together!


It wasn’t very late in the afternoon and normally I am not into going back to the hotel early, but we had completely completed my list of things to do in Brussels! So, we bought some microwaveable food (TWENTY DOLLARS FOR MICROWAVABLE MEALS) and called it a night.

Brussels is cool but we are excited to hit Bruges tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment