Thursday, January 2, 2020

Pompeii & Sorrento


Today was absolutely unforgettable! Ever since Bailey and I were kids, we've both been fascinated with the history of Rome and have dreamed of visiting Pompeii. For part of my art history minor I studied Classical art history and learned so many cool things about ancient Rome and even designed a Roman city for my final project. Most every Roman city had all of the same features, so to see all of those together today, and so well preserved, was so amazing!




Huge shoutout to my best friend and favorite photographer Shey.  She kept us well documented and looking good the entire trip!  Every picture in my Italy posts that looks professional and edited is all thanks to her.

We had a blast exploring the site with our friends, however, I greatly underestimated how much we would have access to. You could spend days there! We went through tons of family houses, which were so interesting, but eventually decided to go straight to the public spaces. If we went through every house we'd never be able to leave!



We saw some gorgeous mosaics which I find extremely fascinating, beautiful and surprisingly well preserved frescoes, and even some statues still in place. Of course the explosion of Mt Vesuvius was a great tragedy, but how lucky we are to have such a clear snapshot of a real Roman city! I was in awe walking around the site, though the dangerous cobblestone paths kept me down to earth lest I wanted to break my ankles.



We had high expectations for Pompeii and somehow they were exceeded. We ended our visit at the city amphitheater which was impressive. Bailey and Jake are here posing as a lion and a gladiator to give us a little visual of the events that would have been held.





Since we weren't able to see Sorrento yesterday, we decided to use our last few hours of sunlight to see what we could. It's not too far away from Pompeii. After a delicious Italian meal of course! I really can't get enough caprese salad!

We walked through old town Sorrento until sunset. It is the cutest place!! There's not a ton to do there, but we thought it was super cute and charming. Sorrento is famous for their lemons so we were sure to buy some of their popular lemon candy. Bailey was also on the hunt for the largest lemon in town, and kept buying bigger and bigger lemons. Not sure his plans with all those but he was happy. After dark we enjoyed the cute lights and went down some side streets to see some little shops. The night ended with gelato of course!



It took us a few attempts to get the "orange picking picture" composition down.



Though there's not tons to do in Sorrento, I already have dreams of coming back to rent mopeds and head to the Amalfi coast. Hopefully during a summer so we could swim! We have been super lucky with the weather and have only needed one jacket, but I definitely wouldn't swim here this time of year!



What a perfect day it was!


No comments:

Post a Comment