Monday, January 6, 2020

The Flavian Amphitheater & Other Famous Attractions


Today was our last day in Rome. So sad! I have loved this city. We finished it off with the grand finale of the Flavian Amphitheater, also known as the Colosseum. We really enjoyed walking around two different levels of it and learning about the events that would happen there so long ago. It was astonishing to me how much money and effort was put towards entertainment in such an ancient time! We enjoyed the sunshine as we strolled through one of the wonders of the world. It is the third wonder of the world that Bailey and I have been able to visit together!






The ticket to the Colosseum includes access to Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. Both also really cool sights! Palatine Hill was beautiful and a quieter visit, and the Roman Forum was a little busier but super cool. Some of the remains are just massive and it is difficult to imagine just how grand it must have been!



I made a good decision at lunch and ordered something delicious - ravioli with butter and sage. It was really tasty!


We then stopped by the Pantheon which I have been so excited to visit. BAD NEWS. It was closed!!! Today is Epiphany but according to my research it shouldn't have effected our plans. I was wrong! Super disappointing, but I was able to get a glimpse inside through a crack in the door. Guess we will just have to come back!


Our friends were ready for some gelato at that point. I confessed already my disinterest in Italian food, and I must admit also that I am not really into ice cream these days. So Bailey and I ran off for a quick visit to Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. We were able to go inside and walk around and it was gorgeous!

Unfortunately then a sad time came. We met up with our friends at the train station, only to part ways. They're headed to Paris tonight! Before this trip we only knew Shey and Dillon, but now we feel like we've made forever friends in Anna, Matson, and Jake as well. We are so grateful to have been able to meet them and hang out with everyone all together. Turns out we make a great travel group! We all travel in a similar way, fast paced but low stress, with an emphasis on finding the best food. We were sad to see them go but already have big plans for our next adventures as a group of 7.

Bailey and I just hopped onto a train heading to Florence. We will spend tomorrow exploring the city before flying home. The end of our trip is approaching too quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment