Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Vatican (& Other Nearby Attractions)


I have been so excited to see the Vatican! With my art history studies and fascination with world religions, I knew this would be a place I'd like. Also, I recently watched and read Angels & Demons so that also created some hype haha. The morning started off with the most gorgeous pink sunrise I've ever seen. I knew it was going to be a good day!

The view out our Airbnb window

We started with a tasty breakfast at a cute little restaurant and then walked right into the Vatican museum entrance. Be sure to buy your tickets online ahead of time like we did - the ticket line was crazy long!

Bailey and I had a half hour earlier start time than our friends so we took the time to see a quality Caravaggio and some other fabulous artworks (including the Pope's spacesuit?!) We then continued on and saw the Laocoon!! The Laocoon is one of my very favorite masterpieces. I love the story of it and how it is portrayed through the sculpture. Beautiful!!



Augustus Prima Porta was also a highlight. This sculpture is extremely important politically because of its role as propaganda. Strangely enough, the museums were crazy busy but nobody came even near Augustus?? We weren't complaining though! This whole corridor was fairly deserted and we loved stopping to see all of the beautiful Roman statues.



Turns out that section was empty because it wasn't on the way to the Sistine Chapel. Soon enough we found our way to the herd heading to the Chapel. And I really mean herd - there's no other way to describe the following events than herding. In a huge dense mass of people, we slowly made our way through the exhibits leading to the Sistine Chapel. They were lovely exhibits but hard to enjoy without running into the person one inch away from you! We did find a way to stop in one of the Raphael rooms because I was determined to enjoy The School of Athens. Probably one of my most favorite frescoes ever! So beautiful and symbolic!


We eventually made it to the Sistine Chapel which was surprisingly chaotic. I was hoping for a quiet Chapel to be able to peacefully enjoy the art, but it was really noisy unfortunately. Nevertheless I loved the experience because I am a huge Michelangelo fan! It is really an overwhelmingly beautiful place to be - we stood in awe staring at every depiction until our necks couldn't take another second of it. An experience to never forget - I feel completely humbled and blessed to have been able to witness the Sistine Chapel ceiling for myself.

After making our way through the exit and gift shop, we stopped at a little pasta to go restaurant. Best pasta I've ever had!! We got our food and sat on the curb to eat it. It was so romantic in every sense of the word!


We then stood in line to go into St Peter's basilica. The line went over halfway around the square but I was set on going inside so we waited.



It actually didn't take that long at all! The inside of the basilica was breathtaking. I was expecting grand but what I saw was something beyond. What a rich depiction of the grandeur of heaven! Of course it was the biggest cathedral I've ever been in, yet every inch of it was covered in intricate detail. So beautiful. We left the building through the grottoes where we saw a few Pope's tombs and the tomb of St Peter which was surely interesting.

The sun was setting as we left through St Peter's square. We had such an amazing day in Vatican City but the day wasn't quite over yet! It was time to enjoy some of what Rome had to offer so we stopped by the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain. Both gorgeous lit up in the dark!



The Trevi fountain particularly is an amazing sight. So over the top and powerful! We threw in some coins because apparently that's what you're supposed to do. I looked it up and the fountain makes crazy amounts of money that way and it all goes to charity so why not pull out those 2 euro coins?


We also stopped by the Fountain of Four Rivers which I really enjoyed because who doesn't love a good Bernini? Bailey and I circled that thing a few times, enjoying it's size and intricacy.


The night ended at a restaurant near our Airbnb. I must say, the food here is amazing for Italian food, but Italian food is still not my favorite! I've been trying a new dish for every meal and still haven't found a favorite (though maybe today's lunch ranks at the top!). Tonight I was lame and got a salad. Kind of a nice break from bready things!

We accomplished so much today, I can't wait to spend a few more days here in the Eternal City!

No comments:

Post a Comment