Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Some Extra Things

It is hard to know what to do with the pictures that I randomly take on usual days.  Weekend blog posts are easy because I can clump all of the pictures together and it makes sense.  But, I don't want to write a whole blog post just about Women's Day or little things like that.  So, here is a mish mash of random things that have gone on the past few weeks, don't mind the fact that they aren't really related!

I guess I can't say Women's Day was a little thing.  It is a huge holiday in China!  Apparently it is huge in most parts of the world.  Kathy, one of our coordinators, told everyone about it and told the boys to get the women flowers to celebrate.  Of course the married guys had to listen, and surprised us lucky girls with treats!  Bailey really went all out, buying me pens, cute notebooks, washi tape (I'm obsessed with stationary things!) lychee, and a plant.  He figured I'd like a little live plant more than flowers that would just die, which was thoughtful of him.


He bought some flowers for Kathy too, which I think was sweet!  At the end of the day we asked her if she had a good Women's Day, and she said, "no... I had lessons in the morning and meetings in the evening... on Women's Day it should be a rest, and we should go shopping!"  I'd have to agree with her about resting and shopping... but as for me, it was a great Women's Day!  We should celebrate it in America!  Even Kimmy, the other coordinator, gave us girls chocolate!


I'm still loving my little first graders and working on loving my second graders!  It's crazy how much difference a year can make.  The second graders are getting better though, but I'm thinking that it is just because I'm in charge of the "kitchen" rotation.  Kids are very well behaved when there is a snack at stake!

The first graders are just so sweet!  I had just my class make lion masks last week, and one of my students wanted to give me hers, and all of a sudden, I was surrounded by kids giving me their masks!  Every single one of them gave me theirs, haha.  I didn't really know what to do with them, so I thought they could be a cute decoration in our classroom.


Even though it is a while away, I'm starting to get a little sad thinking about leaving these kids and moving back to my side of the world, never seeing them again...


Every Tuesday we have a culture class where someone from the school teaches us about language or tai chi or something.  This week we learned about tea!  I'm not a huge tea person and the language barrier made it difficult to know what would be breaking the word of wisdom... but I did love that rose tea!  Literally just hot water poured on a dry rose.  It tasted like the gardens at Thanksgiving Point!


I'm going crazy or something, and starting to like the cafeteria food.  But obviously I'd skip a night of cafeteria food (ok dinner is gross there, I just like breakfast and lunch) for some homemade fajitas!  Our friends at the Muslim noodle place gifted us a serious supply of chicken breasts, which is apparently a sign of friendship.  We made chicken dumpling soup a couple of weeks ago, and finished off the supply last night with fajitas.  They were good, but it was the tortillas that I couldn't get enough of!  Mitch and Katey are some seriously good cooks.


Yesterday was a little bit emotional for me as I missed my dearest cousin Allie's wedding!  I'm so happy for her and Austin though, and am excited to come home to some more married friends!  My mom Facetimed me for the ring ceremony, so I loved watching that.  But when she showed me this display it was a little hard to keep it together!


Here is a picture I've been waiting to share since a few days before we left!  Haha, I went with Allie to a dress fitting so that I could get a picture with her looking like a bride.  Isn't she gorgeous?!


Anyway, life is good and I'm happy.  I think I'm getting a little bit lazy, though, as working only 4 hours a day will do to you.  I love the time I have to blog and chat with my mom in the mornings, and I don't think it will be an easy transition back to full time school and work later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment