Wednesday, July 12, 2017

My New Job!

When I first read the listing for this job, I knew it would be the one for me!  As in, I knew I'd love it!  But, when they called me to set up the interview, I almost had a panic attack when they told me I'd need to prepare a 5 minute presentation for them!

I'm really quite decent at presenting.  I had a lot of training in SkillsUSA for such things.  But I've never been able to overcome my nerves for presenting in front of judges, and that's pretty much what a job interview is.  Nevertheless, I prepared my 5 minute presentation on the Terracotta Warriors (luckily I was able to pick my subject, and the subject I picked was a familiar and comfortable one for me) and killed it!  God was definitely with me, because though I felt nervous, I didn't look nervous and that's all that matters, right?

So I just started my job this past week, and have loved every minute of it.  I am a docent for Utah Valley University's Roots of Knowledge Gallery.  I is a GIGANTIC display of stained glass windows that cover the entire history of the world.  For real though!  It starts on one side with the creation of the universe and man, and ends on the other side with present day.  It is so detailed and probably one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen.  I am so proud to now be involved with the gallery!


My job is to help all of the visitors.  I tell every visitor about the virtual tour, but also offer to give them the run-through.  My favorite visitors are the senior citizens because they always want the run through, and I just love how curious and inquisitive they are!  Luckily I'm allowed to carry my iPad cheat sheet which can answer all of their questions.  I've already memorized a lot of material, but I don't know if I could ever learn about EVERYTHING on the panels, there's seriously that much.

I feel so grateful to have gotten a job that I enjoy so much!  I don't think that it will get old.  Staring at art while listening to soothing music and smelling coffee is pretty much a dream of mine.  It is a peaceful place to work.  I also love that it is on my campus!  Driving 45 minutes between school and work was a little bit overwhelming by the end of my last school semester, so I'm excited to only have a quick walk to work after class every day.

Anyway, please come visit me at the Roots of Knowledge Gallery!  I only work part time, but even if you go when another docent is there, I'll be glad you'll have seen it.  It is really quite the sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment