Sunday, October 21, 2018

Diamond Head & Snorkeling

We hadn't planned on having this extra day in Oahu, because according to our original plans today was supposed to be spent in Molokai.  But I'm so grateful that we had this extra day because it gave us a chance to do some of the things we thought we'd have to miss out on!

We started the day with the Diamond Head hike which was really cool.  Really cool but really hot.  And crowded!  It was very much like a Chinese hike, all paved and including stairs.  Overall I liked the Lanikai Pillbox Hike better because it was less dry and more tropical looking.  But the view from Diamond Head was amazing!  We could see all of Waikiki which was cool, but I preferred the other side with the gorgeous view of the beach and ocean.  I can't believe how blue the water is here!

 



We thought we were hilarious taking this picture.  We felt like we were 12 years old!

We then went to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch because why not (their miso salmon is so good!) and then spent the rest of the afternoon at Hanauma Bay.  We had stopped by the other day hoping to snorkel, but were too late.  So I am extremely grateful that we had a second chance!  We all swam around for a minute, then Bailey, Shey, and I snorkeled for several hours straight.  Snorkeling always takes me a second to get used to because it is kind of freaky not being able to breath very well.  But if I get distracted enough by the cool fish I can calm down and stay underwater for a long time!

I went to Hanauma Bay with my family when I was 12, and remember there being a million spikey sea urchins and the water being so shallow that I was right up against the reef.  It was just about as shallow as I remembered, which is pretty scary honestly.  Especially because they tell you that the reef is razor sharp!  I didn't believe it but Bailey has a cut on his finger to prove it.

When I was 12, I remember seeing an eel right in front of my face and somehow screaming through my snorkel.  Luckily that did not happen today!  I saw lots of beautiful, colorful fish.  Some were pretty big and scared me a little bit, but I just swam around them while pushing Bailey into them.  Overall I very much enjoyed our snorkeling adventure!




We were all feeling pretty hungry by that point, but wanted to wait until we got back to the North Shore for dinner.  So we stopped by this cute little shop and bought some mochi ice cream.  So good!  I got my usual favorites, strawberry and vanilla, but I switched it up a little bit and also got chocolate coconut.  It was so tasty, I'm bummed I won't be able to find that flavor at home!  Bailey got guava, sakura, and something else that I don't remember... but we all enjoyed our ice cream treats!


The night ended in the best way possible.  With garlic shrimp!  We went to Ted's Bakery.  The meal consisted of some extremely buttery and garlicky shrimp plated with mac salad and rice with mae ploy.  It was probably my favorite food of the whole trip so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment