Saturday, July 9, 2016

Obon 2016

I just love Obon!  My family has been doing Obon ever since they came here to America, and I love carrying on the tradition with my aunts and cousins.  I've danced in the festival ever since I can remember, but I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing (dancing is not my best subject)!  Haha!  Maybe going to more than two practices a year would help...


If you didn't know, Obon is an annual Japanese festival with the purpose of honoring our ancestors.  The Salt Lake City Buddhist Temple ("The other Salt Lake Temple" as it says on their t-shirts, haha) has done an amazing job bringing it to Utah!  When I think of summer, I think of Obon after dark, surrounded by dancers in their beautiful yukatas, the sky lit only by the colorful lanterns hanging above...


Though I will admit that probably my favorite part about Obon is dressing up for it!  My grandma has the most amazing collection of yukatas and kimonos that have been in the family for generations, and it is always an honor to wear the turquoise one (my favorite) each year!


This was Bailey's second time at the Obon festival, and once again I was able to count on him to wear the happi coat.  He doesn't dance with us, but that's okay because he looks adorable anyway!


Kylie usually dances with us, but unfortunately her foot is still recovering from a particular Tennis Tuesday...


The crowd is allowed to join in for the last few songs!  Bailey is a pro at the Tanko Bushi since I made him help me teach it to my mom's 2nd grade class this past year.

My sweet cousin Nathan!

Anyway, it was a beautiful night as Obon always is!

No comments:

Post a Comment