Monday, May 21, 2018

Cancun, Quintana Roo (Day 1)

Around 6am we woke up to a loud rainstorm. I couldn’t believe how loud it was! When it was time for us to get up and head to the hotel zone in our taxi, we were basically driving through rivers. There was not a spot of blue in the sky, and I was nervous that our plans for the day would be spoiled. We ate breakfast at a Starbucks while we waited for our 9:00 meeting time, and luckily by the the time 9:00 came the clouds had started to break a little bit. We decided that it was going to be a beautiful day!

We met up with Maxime (our Airbnb experience host), and Charlotte, a solo traveler from Germany who would be joining us for our paddle boarding experience. Maxime and Charlotte were so nice! We learned to paddle board pretty quickly. It’s not that hard. And we were off!


We paddled and paddled surrounded by mangroves. We were the only ones on the water! We saw lots of birds and quite a few fish. It was a beautiful, quiet, and peaceful way to spend the morning!


After we had paddled for a little bit, we stopped at a “secret beach” to take some pictures. I took the opportunity to wade in the water. It was so warm!


We took a different route back, and Maxime took us to a spot where we could paddle right over a sunken ship. So cool! Then Bailey saw a stingray and I accidentally paddled into a tree. Also, at one point I saw a creepy orange spider crawling up my leg (probably from the tree I ran into) and I didn’t even scream! I flicked it off and then spent the next two minutes trying to chase it off of my paddle board with my oar. Freaky! That got me behind the group just a little bit and I had to catch up. Turns out I’m not a very fast paddle boarder!

Overall, we loved paddle boarding and would totally do it again. I’m so glad that we had the opportunity to experience this experience today!

Afterwards, Charlotte, Bailey, and I headed to Playa Langosta for a swim. We hung out in the water for a minute, and even after Charlotte had to leave, Bailey and I hung out in the water! It was just so warm and the sand was so soft! Well, and we had left our towels at our Airbnb and were dreading standing back up in the wind.



We dug lots of holes underwater and found plenty of shells. But eventually we had to stand up because I got very nauseous suddenly. Maybe seasickness? Anyway I thought I was going to puke but was fine once I got back to solid ground. The wind had died down at that point, so we then went on a little walk around the beach to dry off. What a beautiful area!

We stopped for some tasty food for lunch, then we went back to our Airbnb to shower. We spent our evening at Mercado 28, finding the perfect ornament to represent Mexico on our Christmas tree!



We also ate some delicious dinner. My favorite part of dinner was the pineapple juice that I randomly ordered. It was so tasty!




We caught a taxi back to our Airbnb and are now just hanging out like we do every night. It’s been a wonderful trip so far, and we are only halfway through!

No comments:

Post a Comment