Thursday, May 24, 2018

Chichen Itza, Yucatan

WOW. What do I even say? Chichén Itzá is absolutely amazing!


We got a bus this morning and brought all of our stuff with us. Not that that is very much - we are light packers these days! We also don’t smell that great. The two things go hand in hand.

We rode a bus ride through clouds and rain while the bus played “Room” in Spanish. We sat and watched the entire thing and now of course I’m freaked out. It’s horrifying because things like that totally happen! I was a little surprised that they played that, as there were kids on the bus and it’s a little intense. But the next movie was about zombies, and they were attacking and eating each other, making “Room” seem more tame.

Anyway, we reached Chichen Itza and entered the park after locking up our luggage. The first thing we saw was the beautiful El Castillo.


It is absolutely breathtaking! I could stare at it for hours! So could many people, it turns out. There was quite the crowd!


The rest of the day was spent roaming the grounds. There’s tons to see there, as it is a huge complex.



Bailey thought the Temple of the Warriors was pretty cool!


My favorite thing to see is all of the detail carved into each building. I can’t even imagine how much time it would all take!


We wandered and wandered and ignored all of the vendors. We took a few breaks and tried to stay hydrated. After we had made it through the entire complex, we sat on a bench for me to stare at the main temple a little longer. 



Tip for visiting Chichén Itza: they don’t sell food inside, just chips and ice cream. Eat before! I was grateful for the squished granola bar I found in my backpack from last week. Upon leaving the site we stopped for some quick food at the entrance. It was some very subpar American food, but we were so hungry we didn’t care!

We then hopped on a bus headed towards Merida. We will stay here for two more nights and then head to the airport. I’m bummed that our trip is so quickly coming to an end!

No comments:

Post a Comment