Friday, May 19, 2017

Life in Changzhou

Just a little update on what we've been up to.

The other day when Monica was taking pictures for the church, she also took some family pictures for Bailey and I!  It is so nice to have a picture of us where the subject really is just us, not whatever cool place we are at.  I think it turned out really good.  It makes us look pretty successful, haha.  And rich.  When really we are just broke students.


Also, let's note this as my first non-drama related lipstick experience.  For real - the only time I've ever worn lipstick was in a play in 9th grade!  But when nice quality lipstick at Miniso is only 15 kuai, why not give it a try?


The other day we had a lesson involving hula hoops, and while we waited for the other class to show up for rotations, I let the kids play around with them.  Samantha was definitely the best at hula hooping, and made me realize I've been doing it wrong this whole time!


It has been nice to take the past few weeks off of traveling to rest, save money, and focus on the kids.  I really love all of my students!  It has been fun to get to know some of the other teachers students too.  Here is Jake (on the very left) and three of his friends from Teacher Rachel's class.


And of course I love little Trevor, the one who calls me "Teacher Mommy".  Lately he's been very particular about keeping his shirt tucked in.  I only see him during opening, but I see him tuck his shirt in several times throughout that 10 minutes!

And here's a very Asian picture of my little Diego!


I made a chain for when my mom gets here!  I took this picture a few days ago, you should see how short it is now!  She will be here on the 28th and I couldn't be more excited.


I share my first grade classroom with Teacher Mitch's 5th grade class.  Well, when they got there the other day, one of the giant glass windows in the room was completely shattered!  It is a mystery how that happened, but oh my gosh what a mess it was when Kimi decided the best thing to do was knock it out.  Haha, it was quite the sight to see Kimi doing that with a hammer and a 2x4, all while holding an umbrella.  Actually, he gave up the umbrella after a couple of minutes.  I was mostly worried about his eyes!  But he and Bailey finished the job and I swept about 5 times.  My kids and I have still found a couple little shards of glass, but there's been no slivers yet thank goodness.


Meet my little friend, who I call "Bunny in a Crate".  Upon seeing this bunny in a crate on the side of the road I thought, "wow, what a good bunny!  Why doesn't he just jump out?" and of course two seconds later he was jumping out.  So I'm running after him, trying to block him from going into the road without actually touching him (Bailey told me he might have rabies, though I find that very unlikely now) yelling, "WHOSE BUNNY IS THIS?!" and no one was even looking at me!  I was determined though, and kept the little dude off of the street though he tried.  Eventually someone noticed the struggle, and the random passerby flipped the crate upside down and on top of the bunny, trapping him inside.  Better than roadkill for sure.  But who leaves their bunny like that, right?!



Bailey created some more Totoro art for me, this time in the form of watercolor.  He and I are getting a little anxious to hit Japan.  We are so close to the country, but yet so far!  We are hoping that we will be able to go next year.  Studio Ghibli Museum, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment