Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Exploring London

There is so much to do here in London! Today we got an excellent taste of the city. We started our morning with Caroline, our tour guide. Her walking tour was an experience listed on Airbnb and I am so glad we booked it! She was super knowledgeable, sweet, friendly, and walked at the perfect pace. We don’t do a lot of organized tours but I think we will do more after this experience!

We started in Covent Garden and already it was raining. Many members of our group were freezing cold, coming from various places like Australia, India, and New Zealand. To us and Caroline, though, it was totally manageable haha. I guess that’s one blessing of growing up in a climate that is often cold! We just aren’t used to all the rain, but luckily our host had left us some umbrellas to borrow. 



She walked us to Trafalgar Square and through an alley that the Harry Potter directors wanted to use for Diagon Alley. No such luck, the residents weren’t super excited about years and years of filming outside their homes. I can see why they wanted to use it though! So cool! I thought that the glass on the windows was meant to be bowed but I guess it is actually a result of years and years of people drinking tea in the windowsill, leaning against the glass. 


We were able to see some of the changing of the guards ceremony. I love the gorgeous black horses, they’re so dignified looking! Unfortunately some of the ceremony was cancelled because of the weather, but what we saw was neat. We also enjoyed seeing Buckingham Palace. On our way there we saw Princess Anne in a car, so that’s an experience we weren’t expecting!



I don’t know if I’ve mentioned how much I love my Teva Chelsea boots before, but these things rock. My feet stayed dry, warm, and comfortable all day long! And I walked through so many puddles! I’d done a lot of researching to find the perfect travel boots that don’t look terrible and these babies really do the trick. I definitely recommend!


Caroline took us to the Globe Theater which was so cool to see. I like Shakespeare well enough and was surprised to hear how cheap it is to see shows there. We will have to come back!


Late lunch was at Borough Market where Bailey and I got meat pies and he got a bratwurst. We were definitely starving but I really do think the food was delicious. The market was so cute and had so many options! Everyone in our group ate something different and I hope to make it back for some pad Thai.

We saw so much on our tour, more than I've mentioned here, but there are just so many cool spots in London! The tour ended with a beautiful view of London from the top of the Tate Modern. Such a nice, free spot for a view! From there Bailey and I took off to Kings Cross because of course we, as in I, needed this picture. Yes, it was worth waiting in line between an entire Chinese private school’s 6th grade class for. And yes, I am a Hufflepuff.


We grabbed some ramen at Shoryu (which was tasty!) and spent the evening at Queens Theater watching none other than Les Miserables. Guys. I LOVE Les Miserables. My dad took me to see it in Salt Lake City when I was in elementary school and it has always been special to me ever since. I think it is such a meaningful story with the most beautiful music. And the cast tonight really did it justice! I wept many tears and all my Les Miserables dreams came true. Also, we bought the budget seats which were cheaper because the top portion of the stage was blocked by the balconies and it was such a good deal! We literally didn’t miss anything and felt pretty close to the stage.


The voices were gorgeous and the sets were so cool. Such a memorable evening! Bailey enjoyed it too. He likes a good revolution.

We walked all over today and I still don’t feel like we’ve even dented the surface of London! I love the history of the place. We spent some time near Picadilly Circus before our show, and even though there’s a lot of high end shops (not really my thing) I love that the integrity of the history of the area remains and is incorporated into even places like that. On our walking tour we saw many places from outside, but I can’t wait to get into some of those buildings and explore more later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment