Friday, May 10, 2019

More London Sightseeing

This morning we were able to go inside the Tower of London!



It is massive looking from the outside. Well, and on the inside. We went on the free tours (well, included in admission) put on by the Yeomen Warders which was so interesting! He gave us lots of insight on the history of the palace and we learned so much more than we would have just on our own. I especially liked learning about the executions and the crazy royalty who lived there. I find that kind of stuff so interesting!

There was a cool little museum about medieval money making, an armory, a tower we could walk through to see what the decorations would have looked like, and so much more! We spent a lot of time exploring the grounds and many of the buildings there. I would definitely recommend dedicating a few hours of your London visit to this stop!

We couldn’t take any pictures of it, but we were able to see the Queen’s “Crown Jewels” which was really something else. This whole monarchy thing is so crazy for me to wrap my brain around! I can’t believe that it is still a thing, but I do think it is cool that they do it to keep tradition. I think that it is amazing that they’ve been able to find this balance between democracy and a monarchy. And I actually quite liked seeing Her Majesty's fancy crown!

Afterwards we went back to Borough Market for lunch. It was crazy busy just like the first time we went, but we had to go back! They have so many good options and this time I went for pad Thai and Bailey went for falafel. We also found some Latvian honey cake which happens to be Bailey’s favorite kind of cake in the whole world. If you ever come across it, that is a rare opportunity and you must try it!

We spent the next few hours at The British Museum admiring all of the artifacts acquired from conquering. Kind of makes one feel bad actually. But at the same time, would they have been preserved so nicely had they not been stolen? Who knows! I especially liked the Egyptian, Greek, and Roman wings. I always find those cultures interesting!  Also, I had no idea that the pediments of the Parthenon were at the museum, so that was a real treat!  I was so excited!



On our way out we grabbed some Coco, our favorite Chinese drink chain (except they didn’t have their usual winter melon boba tea and lemonade! What the heck!) and then took this picture because has a girl even gone to London if she didn’t get this shot?


The night ended with a visit to Wagamama, which one of my friends recommended. It was alright. But the day was so good! We leave London tomorrow afternoon and I don’t feel quite ready. This city is awesome and there is so much to do! We have had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment