Friday, April 21, 2017

Shanghai Disney Resort: Day 1

THE WEEKEND HAS FINALLY COME!  The one that we have so excitedly awaited!  DISNEYLAND WEEKEND!

We stayed in  hostel last night and woke up super early to catch the metro over to Disney Resort.  We quickly dropped our luggage off at the Toy Story Hotel, where we are staying tonight.  Well, we tried to be quick!  It was a little bit stressful when they couldn't find any of our names in their system.  You know, the names under which we booked the hotel and bought tickets!  It took a while but eventually they found us.  Thank goodness!  To make up for our lost time they so generously gave us "I'm Celebrating" pins.  At least we think that's why they gave them to us.  Maybe they saw in Bailey's passport that it was just barely his birthday?



We took the shuttle to the park, and after some long lines we were finally in!  We were so excited!



We headed straight to the Pirates of the Carribean ride because we assumed it would be a favorite.  In that line we got some fine examples of Chinese people who think that they don't have to wait in lines.  It is really like some of them don't understand!  First of all, they all squish together.  We watched all of the people in front of us literally pressed up against the backpacks of people in front of them.  No sense of personal space here.  As Americans, we are used to less compact lines, and people would literaly sqirm when they saw us leave a little bit of space in front of and between us.  One lady behind us was absolutely DYING to get in front of us!  She didn't say anything to us, she just kept trying to sneak past us through any small little gap she could find.  She had a little girl, and pushed the poor little girl up against our butts because I guess that is normal.  We were determined to not let her pass though!  We formed a Great Wall of America(ns).  I'd say we got pretty good at it - the corners got a litle bit tricky, but with 4 people we managed to keep the gaps nonexistent.


Pirates was AMAZING!  I can't even begin to describe how awesome it was!  The robots they used were so lifelike - I swear that Johnny Depp was really there!  And the effects were too cool - after the usual go through the restaurant and see the skeletons in jail trying to get the key from the dog, all of a sudden there is a storm and we are flying under water!  We were surrounded by a big screen and were moving in such a way that we really felt like we were going under water.  We moved to another room where there were actual wrecked ships and things built for us to go through.  And a Davy Jones robot that looked so real!  Eventually they shot us back up through the water (with some water drops landing on us for added effect) for a pirate ship fight.  Which included boating between two real lifesized pirate ships!  I can't even imagine how much the ride cost to make!  The whole time we were waiting for that drop that you get in California, and it came at the most unexpected time - when we were going BACKWARDS.  Literally our minds were blown by this ride.  I'm a little upset because nothing will ever compare to it, as much as I love my Pirates ride in the States.

After that we went to Pooh's Hunny Pot Spin.  It was just like the teacups ride but done up as honey pots!  It was way too cute!


Shey and I decided to ride separetly from the boys when they started talking about just how fast they wanted to spin it.  Us girls decided that we'd rather not have headaches for the rest of the day!


After that we headed to the Peter Pan ride.  Oh my gosh - what a wait!  There aren't tons of rides here, so the lines for rides are kind of ridiculous.  Today the average waiting time was 60-100 minutes per ride!  Luckily we had snacks and friends to keep us entertained.  Yesterday I found and bought a Japanese cracker mix that tasted just like the kind I buy and love back at home!  I'm so glad I had that!


But of course the wait was worth it.  It was a lot like the one in the States, and I wouldn't say it was significantly better.  But I do love that ride so I really enjoyed it!


We spent the next little while walking through and enjoying Fantasyland.  Fantasyland is alway my favorite because it is just so cute!  We came across the tavern from Tangled, which of course they made into a restaurant.


We also found a gypsy wagon that made us think of Bailey's dad who collects gypsy wagons.  Not sure what movie this is from though?


Then it was time to check out the beautiful castle!  It is gigantic!


One unique thing about Disneyland Shanghai is that you can actually go in the castle and climb up it!  Right when you walk in the castle you are surrounded with these beautiful mosaics and stained glass windows.


If you wait in line, you can take some stairs up the castle!


On the way we went through several rooms with interactive scenes from Snow White.  They did such a good job!  It was funny to hear Snow White sing in Mandarin though!

Reaching the top was cool!  There were fountains and adorable little Chinese girls dressed as princesses to admire.  I really wish I had a picture of a little baby Asian princess... they were all over but I forgot to snap a picture!  But I did steal one of their poses for this picture.



We finished off today's Fantasyland adventures by grabbing some pastries at the bakery.  I bought this doughnut just because it was cute.  It was super gross though, just to warn you!


After that it was off to Tomorrowland!  Though of course it is still fun, Tomorrowland is probably my least favorite part of Disneyland.  It is the least magical!  Of course, one can't help but love the Buzz Lightyear ride.


Another thing I was digging about Tomorrowland is that they had corndogs!  I really had my hopes up too high, though, thinking about the hand dipped corndogs in Anaheim.  This corndog definitely lived in a freezer at one point, and the ketchup was very Chinese.  I appreciated the effort nonetheless!


We also went to the Star Wars section of the park.  If you ask me, Star Wars is BORING!  Bailey was really excited about it though (he just started watching the movies this past week) so I was sure to get pictures of him with all of the characters and driving the spaceship thing.








We wanted to wait to ride Tron until after dark, so we hurried to the other side of the park to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.  To make things quicker we waited in the single riders line.  It was my first time as a single rider and it wasn't too bad!  The guy next to me was cracking me up with the noises he made every time we turned!  It was a fun little roller coaster, but much too short of a ride, in my opinion.



By then it was dark enough for the Tron ride to be all lit up in its futuristic colors.


We waited again in the single riders line and I was put in the very front of the ride!  I've never seen Tron, but like in the movie, we were basically on motorcycles.  Leaning forward so much, I felt like I was going headfirst on the fast rollercoaster!  It was kind of freaky but very cool.  I just don't like the first part, because it accelerates so fast that I feel like I am going to explode.


We exited the ride and watched the show projected on the castle for a little bit.  It was kind of hard for my brain to handle, because a castle is definitely not flat like a screen.  But the music was fun and I always love fireworks!  We left the show a little early to beat the crowds to Disneytown, where we ate at the Cheesecake Factory (which was exactly like the ones in the States!) and shopped a little bit at the Disney store there.


Overall we had a super fun day!  We hit most everything we wanted to see and do, but we are grateful to have another whole day of fun tomorrow.  I'm also grateful to be able to rest in such a quality hotel tonight - the Toy Story Hotel beats our usual hostels by a million!


2 comments:

  1. ok how cute is that toy story room? This looks amazing! You're making me want to look at flights to china

    ReplyDelete