Saturday, April 29, 2017

Terracotta Warriors (& More Dead Goats)

This morning we got up and headed straight to the bakery for breakfast.  Believe it or not, China has the best bakeries!  We got some little crescent rolls which we ate right away, and also a loaf of whole wheat bread to save for a later snack.


From there it was off to the train station!  We walked there, and thought about how interesting it was that we could so casually walk along the ancient city wall.  China is the coolest!

We got in a crazy long line for the bus that would take us to the Terra Cotta Warriors.  Luckily it was constantly moving, it was as if they had an unlimited amount of buses!

After getting there and making a scene over the fact that Chinese students get discount tickets but American students do not (Bailey was so mad!), we made it in and to the warriors!  Well, we tried to at least.  We accidently went to pit 2 first, which consists of a whole lot of things... all buried under mounds of dirt.


We made our way through the pits, of course liking Pit 1 most because it is the one with all of the warriors.




I don't know.  I hate to say it, but I'm really not impressed with seeing the warriors.  I thought I would appreciate it more my second time seeing them, but it is such a... distant experience.  I mean, we can only see them from above, and from far away too.  A better setup would be at the same level as the warriors.  Then we could really get a sense of how life sized they are.  But I suppose we do see more from an above angle.  I feel bad to say so, but it is really not that magnificent of a sight!  Of course I'm glad we went, though, because Bailey shouldn't leave China without seeing them!



We didn't spend much time at the exhibit, and soon found our way back to the railway station.  We stopped by the foot of our apartment, where we had noticed a mostly hidden Muslim noodle restaurant.  Oh how I love Muslim noodles!  I wanted to eat there and man, it was good.


Before we ate, the cook came and sat down next to me, pointing to my camera.  I thought he wanted a picture with us, so I handed the camera to Bailey so he could snap one.  Turns out he just wanted to see the pictures I had taken of his restaurant, but I'm glad we have this picture anyway!


With still some daylight left, we thought about the places we could visit.  Pagodas, temples, gardens, you know.  The usual China stuff.  Not to say every pagoda is the same, or that they aren't beautiful, but we weren't really feeling it today!  We decided we could live without those Xian sights, and headed to what we really wanted... which was more goat meat.


We did again exactly what we did last night!  Less snacks, though, because we had just eaten dinner.  Bailey munched on his dead goat and I couldn't resist more rolled ice cream.  We visited the alley market again and bought more fun things!


Having seen the major sights, we market Xian off of our list tonight.  We turned in early to get plenty of rest for tomorrow's adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment