Thursday, April 13, 2017

Sports Day

What an interesting morning!  A few days ago we were told that Thursday would be "Sports Day", and that the teachers were going to have a four square tournament.  Some things get seriously lost in translation, because only last night did we learn that it would be less of a four square tournament, and more of a parade that we would be involved in.

So early this morning we donned our bright orange school shirts, and went to the field for the parade!  Some teachers were to ride in a golf cart, some were given large flags to hold, and some were given small Chinese flags to hold.  All of the large flags (except for one) were English speaking countries, or at least flags from Europe where they speak lots of English.  I was given the Korean flag which I'm still confused about.



The American flag kind of got passed around throughout our group.  I think Petro was the most patriotic fit for the flag holder.


While we were waiting to start the parade, all of our kids started pouring out of the school building in their neat lines (that they can't seem to keep during ILP lessons).  THEY WERE ALL IN CONSTUMES.

I think their teachers just get to decide what their students wear.  Like, some classes were all in matching outfits, one six grade group was all wearing animal hats, and some classes were a mish mash of whatever the kids wanted to wear.  Like my group of second graders, haha.


I liked the matching outfits!  I probably wouldn't as much as a kid, I guess, but there were some seriously adorable costumes out there.  Like these tropical girls!


The most adorable, of course, were my first graders who came out of the school building in police costumes!  How cute is that?!  I caught on later that the animal tails and headbands probably made them Zootopia characters?




Soon enough we found ourselves marching, walking, and running around the track for the "parade".  The kids were on either side of us, cheering us on and wanting high fives.  We felt like celebrities!


We stopped when we made it around the track once and sat down for a performance from some cute little cheerleaders.  They were so impressive!  They were so serious, it was adorable.  There were even two little boys in there!


After the performance, the crowd kind of dispersed so that everyone could get ready for the sports.  I took the time to find some of my kids and get pictures!  How random are these little outfits?  So cute though!


I also finally got a picture of Bailey with his dear friend Kimi (I finally learned how to spell his name).  Kimi is awesome!


The games began, and we realized that it was just a school wide track meet!  There were many heats, a lot of the kids ran (but not all).  I couldn't believe what they ran in, some were in their school uniforms, some were in regular clothes, and some were still in their costumes!  Yes, some first graders ran while dressed as police!


The meet went on for a long time, so us teachers sat around and talked and also went to play with our kids.  We like our kids of course, but we like them a whole lot more in a non-teaching setting!  They're so playful and snuggly!



When my first graders saw my camera, lots of them wanted me to take pictures of us together!  Here I am with CJ who is seriously one of the cutest kids ever.


Diego is another one of my favorites.  She is so good and cute!


Samantha is so sweet!


Shu Shu isn't in my homeroom, but I have him in my rotations and I just love him.  He is the tiniest little guy, but he is so smart and creative.  And so adorable!


This is Trevor.  He isn't in my rotations at all, the only time I see him is during opening (where we sing a song and talk about what day it is before splitting off into classes).  But for some reason he yells "teacha mommy!!" every time I see him and he gives me a big hug!  He always tries to sneak into my line to come to my class.  He's so funny!  I'm not sure why he calls me mommy... maybe I look like his mom?


Eventually hunger took over, and Bailey and I left the games to go find some food.  But what a fun morning it was, being able to just play with our kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment